Book Finder > 5 Finger Test
Five Finger Test
If you think a book may be too hard for you, try the "five finger test!"
To check the reading level of your book, take this simple test:
- Open the book to the middle and choose any page to read.
- Read the page. (aloud if possible)
- Put out 1 finger for every word you do not know or cannot pronounce.
- If you have 5 fingers out, the book is too difficult to read without help.
- If you do not get any fingers up, but are reading very slowly and decoding almost every word, you will not enjoy the book.
Here's the finger guide: 1 Finger
: This book is o.k. for you. 2 Fingers
: Still good. 3 Fingers
: Could be a bit hard for you to understand. 4 Fingers
: Will be too difficult to read and understand. 5 Fingers
: Choose another book.